Here we go again.
Turkesterone is the new hot-selling herbal supplement on Amazon. Living in an illusion of grandeur amongst premium T-boosters, Turkesterone seems to be a promising anabolic stimulant that is heavily promoted by content creators on TikTok.
But will it end up having the same fate as Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali combo?
In the world of single-ingredient supplements, Turkesterone is trying hard to stand on its own feet in an uncontested space.
Between Turkesterone vs. Tongkat Ali, which is better?
With only one proven human study since 1978, can Turkesterone compete amongst established single-ingredient supplements such as Tongkat Ali (Malaysian Ginseng) and Panax Ginseng (Korean Ginseng) that delivers multipronged benefits?
As for now, preliminary evidence on Turkesterone is pretty compelling. But should you take both Tongkat Ali and Turkesterone together?
This article provides a fair assessment between these two popular adaptogen herbs, giving you further insights on Turkesterone and Tongkat Ali.
Now lets find out the facts, scientific evidence, intended use, restrictions and feedback on Turkesterone.
Quick Facts: Turkesterone
- Turkesterone is a concentrated type of ecdysteroid (classified as a phytoecdysteroid), a compound that is produced by insects (anthropods) and plants found in Uzbekistan.
- Only few plants contain ecdysteroid, example – Ajuga turkestanica and in Vitex
- To researchers and consumers, Turkesterone is more commonly known as Ajuga Turkestanica
- Ecdysteroids have a similar structure to the male hormone testosterone, although there is little to no evidence that ecdysteroids will work like testosterone in humans.
- Widely used as anabolic steroid to supercharge muscle growth or muscle strength.
Mechanism of Action: Turkesterone
- Ecdysterone is the compound that produce pharmacological response to humans.
- Ecdysterone produces anabolic effect, mediated by estrogen receptor (ER).
Research Studies & Clinical Evidence:
- Total Research Studies: Less than 10
- First Research Study: 1978 (View paper)
- Latest Research Study: 2019 (View paper)
- Total Clinical Trials: None (no clinical studies on humans)
❌ Tests on Muscle Strength: Yes (View Paper)
❌ Tests on Testosterone: Data Not Available
❌ Tests on Free Testosterone: Data Not Available
❌ Tests on Young Adults: Data Not Available
❌ Tests on Men’s Libido: Data Not Available
❌ Tests on Men’s Erection: Data Not Available
❌ Tests on Cortisol Hormone: Data Not Available
❌ Tests on Dopamine: Data Not Available
❌ Tests on Estrogen: Data Not Available
Restriction of Use
- Cannot be used over a prolonged period more than four weeks due to fear of toxicity and impact to liver.
- Turkesterone is on the active substance watch list by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), with a high risk of getting banned in sports.
- Turkesterone is not recommended by the International Society of Sports Nutrition for supplementation to increase performance in their 2018 review
Quick Facts: Tongkat Ali
- Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma Longifolia) is a phytoandrogenic herbal plant found in Malaysia that contains eurycomanone, eurypeptides, glycosaponin and polysaccharides – a family of alkaloids and quassinoids.
- Dubbed as the “tree that cures hundres diseases”, Tongkat Ali is used for centuries with decades of research studies and clinical trials.
- Tongkat Ali contains strong anabolic properties which is used with other herbs to amplify health benefits.
- Widely used as a safe testosterone booster, and thus restoring hormonal balance for various age groups for general vitality and health.
- Used by sports and fitness community to boost anaerobic performance, muscle growth and as a pre and post-workout supplement.
- Widely used as a natural viagra and to improve men’s fertility such as sperm motility, sperm concentration and libido (eg: erection and sexual desire).
- Some use Tongkat Ali to improve mood and reduce cognitive stress, tension and anxiety.
Mechanism of Action: Tongkat Ali
- Tongkat Ali’s bioactive ingredient activates Luteinzing Hormones (LH) and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) allow pituitary glands to produce more testosterone.
- This activation also causes the release of free “usable” testosterone from the lowering of SHBG.
- These actions enable vital functions of the human body to operate at optimal level. This translates to a better reproductive system, improved libido, increased muscle development, better mood profile, better immune system and other positive health functions.
Research Studies & Clinical Evidence:
- Total Research Studies: ~315+
- First Research Study: 1993 (View Paper)
- Latest Research Study: 2021 (View Paper)
- Total Clinical Trials: 30+
✅ Tests on Muscle Strength: (View Paper)
✅ Tests on Testosterone: (View Paper)
✅ Tests on Free Testosterone: (View Paper)
✅ Tests on Young Adults: (View Paper)
✅ Tests on Men’s Fertility: (View Paper)
✅ Tests on Men’s Erection: (View Paper)
✅ Test on Cortisol : (View Paper)
✅ Tests on Dopamine: (View Paper)
✅ Tests on Estrogen: (View Paper)
✅ Tests on Uric Acid: (View Paper)
✅ Test on Immune System: (View Paper)
Restriction of Use
- Not banned by the Olympics Committee as the T/E ratio falls within acceptable range
- Tongkat Ali is not in the watch list of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
- Tongkat Ali can be imported and consumed in the USA, UK, Australia, Singapore and many other countries without restriction or risks.
Is Turkesterone more popular than Tongkat Ali?
Turkesterone supplements are less popular than Tongkat Ali supplements due to their unproven health benefits, issues of safety, and severe side effects.
Google search data showed that consumers prefer Tongkat Ali to Turkesterone. In fact, consumer interest in Tongkat Ali grew by 75% compared to Turkesterone in 2022.
Turkesterone supplements are less popular on Amazon too. In comparison, clinically tested premium Tongkat Ali products are far more popular than Turkesterone, especially among men seeking for an effective testosterone supplement.
Source: Google Search Trend on Tongkat Ali vs. Turkesterone based on consumer interest in 2022.
Turkesterone Benefits & Side Effects
Turkesterone offers many potential health benefits despite a lack of scientific evidence (i.e total research studies on Turkesterone is approximately 10).
Let’s investigate some of the health benefits offered by the best Turkesterone supplements from Gorilla Mind, Solatix, Double Wood Turkesterone and others.
Turkesterone has potential unverified health benefits such as:
- Improved muscle health, with lean gain, fat removal, and strong built
- Increased strength with unmatched energy, stamina, and vigor
- Faster muscle recovery
- Lower fat levels and a higher metabolic rate
- Controlled fluid retention and bloating
- Improved mobility with less inflammation, or muscle pain
Turkesterone Side Effects:
- Stomach upset or diarrhea
- Agitation, jittery and dizziness
- Confusion, inability to comprehend information
- Slow memory, flashbacks
- Affects cognitive functions and lack of focus
Turkesterone should not be used continuously for more than three weeks due to severe side effects that can impair the liver and kidneys. Experts believe most Turkesterone formulations contain a high level of toxicity that is not compatible with long-term consumption.
FAQ: Turkesterone & Tongkat Ali
Can you stack Turkesterone and Tongkat Ali together?
Yes, you may use Turkesterone and Tongkat Ali together as both deliver compounded anabolic effects to your muscle-building exercises.
Similar to our analysis on Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali stack, the gains that you obtain are mainly attributed to Tongkat Ali’s bioactive ingredients, and less from Turkesterone.
Is Turkesterone a testosterone booster?
Turkesterone is popular amongst body builders who reported rapid gain in muscle mass and strength. Despite lack of scientific evidence on testosterone gains, many believe Turkesterone delivers a testosterone boost that led to the muscle mass gains.
To date, there is no blood test to validate Turkesterone’s effect on testosterone, free testosterone and other hormones.
Does Turkesterone deliver a higher testosterone boost than Tongkat Ali?
Turkesterone has mild testosterone-boosting capabilities according to past studies. Some of the studies are limited to small test participants and results may not be statistically significant.
The lack of scientific evidence has deterred many consumers from viewing Turkesterone as an effective testosterone booster.
On the other hand, Tongkat Ali has sufficient clinical tests and studies on the effect of testosterone. This is based on multitudes of studies in the last 20 years across a wide range of age groups from 23 to 75 years.
Tongkat Ali performs significantly better than Turkesterone in increasing free usable testosterone. More so if you are pairing it with multivitamins or other herbal supplements in your stack.
A randomized placebo clinical test on 93 test participants showed a free testosterone increase between 582% (for men) to 600% (for women) after consuming Tongkat Ali for 24 weeks.
Note: (n= 19 males) with test participants between 20 – 60 years consuming 50mg Physta® Tongkat Ali extract (Eurycoma Longifolia) with Multi-Vitamins. (Source: Tongkat Ali Clinical Test Study)
Analysis: Turkesterone or Tongkat Ali
Turkesterone vs. Tongkat Ali. Before we share our analysis, lets get one thing straight.
Turkesterone is not competing with Tongkat Ali. It doesn’t need to.
Whether Turkesterone or Tongkat Ali, you need to be aware of your health objectives and the intended use.
So if you are using supplements to build muscle in the shortest time without worrying too much about its’s side effects, then Turkesterone may suit your needs.
That is why Turkesterone has its own niche following, a strong army of loyalists in the hardcore fitness community. If you are obsessed with bulging muscles, and the bigger-the-better mindset, Turkesterone fits you perfectly.
In reality, Turkesterone extraction and research are still in their infancy stage.
Coupled with a tsunami of quality and raw material issues, you need to choose the best Turkesterone supplements from reputable manufacturers.
Due to a lack of regulation and standardized extract protocols, most Turkesterone supplements have less ecdysterone than what was claimed by manufacturers or brand owners.
Here is a good example.
Peak Ecdysone is among the best-selling Turkesterone supplements next to Double Wood Turkesterone and many others. But they recently were in the limelight for the wrong reasons.
Jeff Nippard, a professional drug-free bodybuilder shared a shocking finding about Turkesterone supplements which garnered 1.8 million views on Youtube.
On the other hand, Tongkat Ali generally fits the profile of users who wants to achieve all-rounded health benefits, with almost-guaranteed results.
In fact, Tongkat Ali is the best testosterone supplement for men. Almost 70% of testosterone boosters sold in the market today contain Tongkat Ali as one of the key active ingredients.
Now, that says a lot about Tongkat Ali, which is backed by more than 300+ studies and clinical tests on humans.
That makes Tongkat Ali one of the best herbal sports supplement in the USA, along with other sports nutrition like creatine, protein powder and others.
Tongkat Ali attracts people from all walks of life, from first-time users who are embarking on a body transformation, avid sports amateurs, lightweight marathon runners, cyclists and many others.
But on the other hand, Turkesterone is mainly used by high-risk gym junkies to achieve rapid muscle gains, without considering its long-term effects on health.
Hence, most Turkesterone users are consuming this deadly substance in high doses, which could be detrimental to the liver and kidneys.
As for Tongkat Ali, the effectiveness and health gains are dosage-dependent. It means the recommended daily dosage can be fine-tuned to maximize specific health outcomes (eg: muscle mass, strength).
For instance, you can consume a super-potent Tongkat Ali at a lower dosage of 200mg per day to gain its full benefits.
Hence, it is ideally suited for those aiming for body transformation (and losing weight). Compared to Turkesterone, there are many positive reviews from consuming Tongkat Ali for two weeks, four weeks or even six weeks.
Does Turkesterone Tongkat Ali combo work?
In short, it may not work when you combine them together.
In fact,the actual results or gains are driven from Tongkat Ali.
We have said this before in our Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali review.
The total net gain from combining two herbs is not the sum of individual gains.
Yet, most people think 1 + 1 = 2.
This allows further manipulation into thinking that the sum of 0.6 + 1.4 = 2 (or must be equal to two)
Because this is how we are wired to think.
So combining 600mg of Tongkat Ali extract and 1,400mg of Turkesterone does not mean you will gain 2x more muscle strength.
Yet some manufacturers or supplement try to deceive consumers.
The truth is, every new herbal ingredient like Tongkat Ali or Turkesterone must be tested on potency and efficacy. And most of the mix-combo herbs are not clinically tested against any negative pharmacological effects on human health.
It is a wild-wild west for Turkesterone.
Single-supplements containing 100% Turkesterone extract sold online with unsubstantiated claims and promise are common.
To the undiscerning consumers and loyalists, it is the gospel truth.
At least for now.
Here is the conclusion of Turkesterone vs. Tongkat Ali in a nutshell.
Drawing parallels to the crypto industry, there are those who stick to Bitcoin and there are those to jump to buy the next altcoin.
So, if you can’t wait and desperately seeking ways to turbocharge your muscle strength with fast results (without even thinking twice about its long-term effects), Turkesterone may be the right supplement for you.
If you are looking for a more sustainable, proven and safer option, then clinically tested Tongkat Ali is the answer.
The best Tongkat Ali products on Amazon such as AKARALI is a testament that Turkesterone cannot win the herbal supplement race.
There are many grey areas and untested territories when it comes to Turkesterone. Consumer confidence may change in the future as more clinical trials are conducted to validate the efficacy of Turkesterone.
We constantly advise our readers to consult their nearest doctor before consuming Turkesterone or even Tongkat Ali.
Whether you are consuming Turkesterone as a single ingredient, together, or in a combination with other herbs, please be careful of the potential adverse reactions, or severe side effects.
So choose wisely, and if possible, stick to clinically tested herbal supplements products.
Naressa Khan contributes regularly on AKARALI. As a researcher and investigative journalist, Naressa is all about creating, deconstructing, and reassembling meaningful content through words and facts. With this approach always in mind, she eagerly explores the nuances in life via the aspects of lifestyle, culture, travel, health, and wellness in Malaysia .
Our articles are third party reviewed by our panel of experts and medical advisors to ensure the facts are accurate and credible. These are validated against multiple source references which include but not limited to research studies, peer-reviewed journals, pre-clinical studies, clinical tests and other credible publications.
Our panel of medical advisors and experts are highly experienced in their individual fields. However, they do not provide any medical advice or recommendations arising from content published in this article.
The content published on this website is for educational purposes and should not be viewed, read, or seen as a prescription or constitute any form of medical advice. We recommend you consult your nearest GP or doctors before consuming Tongkat Ali or any products which contain Tongkat Ali. For further information, kindly refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more information.