Have you tried Tongkat Ali but failed miserably to meet or exceed your expectations in achieving your health goals? Did it even work, or did you notice any significant benefits?
Perhaps you are one of the few unlucky Tongkat Ali users who did not get the full benefits of Tongkat Ali because you unknowingly bought a China-made cheap low-quality Tongkat Ali that was sold in the US.
The truth is, Tongkat Ali will work on most people provided you bought a highly potent Tongkat Ali. It may not work if you are consuming generic Tongkat Ali offered by many unknown brands out there. And this may cause some level of distrust.
To put things into perspective, the best medicinal drugs or vaccines recorded an average of 95% efficacy on humans.
Whilst Tongkat Ali is a natural supplement (and not to be viewed as medicinal / botanical drugs) there are reasons why Tongkat Ali didn’t work, or may not work on you.
This article is to provide more insights as to why Tongkat Ali did not work on you and how you can maximize your results.
Lets find out more!
And don’t forget to try our tips in order to gain more from Tongkat Ali.
Possible reasons why Tongkat Ali did not or may not work on you
- You are not exercising enough
- You bought a low-quality Tongkat Ali extract
- You are smoking too much
- You are drinking too much alcohol
- You are highly and constantly stressed
- You are obese or overweight
- You are less sensitive to changes
- You are not fully rested or lack of sleep.
- You are not eating well
1. You are not exercising enough
If you are not exercising enough, then chance are no herbal supplement can help you to achieve your health goals. Tongkat Ali works more effectively if you perform regular exercise as it elevates your hormonal glands in your endocrine system.
A randomized placebo-controlled study in 2020 on a group consuming 200mg of Tongkat Ali daily with 3-times a week exercise showed the most libido improvement and the highest testosterone increase.
When taken dosage of 200mg – 400mg daily, Tongkat Ali may optimize your testosterone and other hormones production to benefit other endocrine primary systems such as the reproductive system.
In order to maximize Tongkat Ali effects, perform any of the following exercises that may boost your libido or testosterone when consuming Tongkat Ali:
- Mild jog or run 3-4 times a week for four weeks.
- Weight training with moderate weights – twice a week.
- Squats – 30 reps with 2 sets, daily for four weeks
- Star jumps – 30 reps with 2 sets, daily for four weeks.
2. You bought a low-quality Tongkat Ali
Low-quality Tongkat Ali products have undeniably low bioactive ingredients due to poor herbal extraction protocols. And you may have accidentally bought one.
Unprecedented demand of Tongkat Ali enabled China to continue producing cheap quality Tongkat Ali for US consumers. Unfortunately, almost all China Tongkat Ali extracts are not clinically tested on humans.
As a result, generic or poor Tongkat Ali extracts may not bring the desired results or noticeable difference to your health due to unbelievably low potency and efficacy
Key purchasing guide to avoid buying low quality Tongkat Ali:
- Clinically tested Tongkat Ali products work better than generic Tongkat Ali
- Choose Standardized Tongkat Ali Extract
- Look out for patented or proprietary extraction method
- Avoid buying mixed-ingredient Tongkat Ali products (eg: Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali)
- Avoid buying from generic health supplement brands
3. You are smoking too much
Studies have showed that smoking increases the levels of carbon monoxide in a person’s body. This in turn may reduce the production of testosterone and affects libido.
On this note, smokers taking Tongkat Ali may experience reduced effects from libido or testosterone.
Yes, you can take Tongkat Ali if you are smoking and there are no reported side-effects of taking Tongkat Ali on smokers (includes vaping).
However, you may not get the best results from Tongkat Ali if you are seeking to improve your libido or testosterone significantly.
- Reduce or stop smoking for at least two weeks when consuming Tongkat Ali.
- Avoid nicotine patch as this may not improve Tongkat Ali’s effects
- You may switch to vape / e-Cigarette if necessary, but best to avoid it.
- Monitor for any signs of improvement of libido, testosterone, stamina or strength
4. You are drinking too much alcohol
Tongkat Ali can be taken with alcohol, but it may take longer time to get the desired results. So its best to avoid alcohol if you want the best effects of Tongkat Ali on your libido.
Excessive alcohol effects the messengers (i.e neurotransmitters) in the brain that controls the blood flow to the penis. In a 2018 study, results showed that it led to decreased sensitivity of the penis.
As excessive alcohol is one of the risk factors of Erectile Dysfunction (ED) in men, you may want to revisit your alcohol consumption habits.
- Reduce alcohol consumption by 70% when consuming Tongkat Ali.
- Drink moderately, say 1 glass of wine per day when consuming Tongkat Ali
- For better results on libido, stop drinking alcoholic drinks for two weeks prior taking Tongkat Ali
- Monitor for any signs of improvement of libido, testosterone, stamina or strength
5. You are highly and constantly stressed
Tongkat Ali is scientifically proven to reduce anger, tension and improve overall mood and it is tested to work well on moderately stressed individuals.
However, if you are constantly and highly stressed, this can cause cortisol (i.e stress hormone) to suppress the testosterone production in the hypothalamus and Leydig cells found in the testicles.
So, if your libido or testosterone does not improve after taking Tongkat Ali, you may need to reduce your stress prior to, or when consuming Tongkat Ali.
- Perform basic breathing to reduce stress. The best method is Wim Hof Breathing Technique
- Perform yoga with Tongkat Ali daily for six weeks.
- Use aromatherapy to help relax and rejuvenate
- Tune into an upbeat song and dance to it. It helps to improve your mood.
- Avoid alcohol. This should not be your solution to stress or improve your mood.
6. You are obese or overweight
Tongkat Ali may not work effectively if you are obese or overweight. You may not feel any difference in stamina, strength or even libido if you take Tongkat Ali when you are obese.
In fact, you may need to supplement Tongkat Ali consumption with plenty of exercises to restore your hormonal balance to its optimal condition.
Tongkat Ali’s efficacy and impact on the endocrine system hinge on your lifestyle, diet and more importantly your weight.
The truth is, obesity is associated with low androgen levels in men and cause adverse alterations in your endocrine system. The result of lower testosterone affects your libido or ED due to hypogonadism.
The good news is that Tongkat Ali is tested on hypogonadism and low level of androgens in men. But there are some tips to maximize Tongkat Ali’s effect if you are obese.
- Focus on light-to-moderate exercises such as 20-minute of jogging daily
- Do jumps and squats – for 5 minutes daily
- Do swimming or cycling – 20 minutes daily
- Reduce oily foods or processed foods
- Take 200mg – 400mg of Tongkat Ali daily
- Avoid diary food for few days and change your diets to fibers and animal protein
7. You are less sensitive to changes
Some people may not be sensitive enough to detect any physiological and/or psychological changes that happens in their body after taking Tongkat Ali.
Physiological and psychological changes due to Tongkat Ali consumption include but not limited to muscle strength, lost of weight, changes in sexual desire / libido, changes in mood, and others.
Assuming you have taken the effort to perform tips described in #1 to #6, there are ways to detect the changes after consuming Tongkat Ali for few weeks.
The best way is to ask yourself the following questions after consuming 200mg-400mg daily of Tongkat Ali for a minimum of 7 days.
- Do you gain more strength / can carry more weights at the gym?
- Do you feel the extra energy at home after long hours at work?
- Do you feel better (i.e less lethargic or tired) after getting up early morning?
- Do you feel less stress, or better concentration at work?
- Do you have better erection in the morning?
8. You are not fully rested or lack of sleep.
Lack of sleep, or sleep deprivation is associated with lower testosterone. If you are not sleeping well, or less than 7 hours a day, it is time to get your body to rest before consuming Tongkat Ali.
Adequate sleep is the most basic resting protocol that is effective to restore hormonal balance. And consuming Tongkat Ali may be the best supplement to enhance the positive impact to the endocrine system.
- Sleep early, or sleep at least 6 to 7 hours a day.
- Make sure you get quality sleep, by avoiding background noise or things that can disturb your sleep.
- Practice weight training or resistance training, it may help you to sleep better.
9. You are not eating well
You may need to change your eating habit if you want maximum benefits from Tongkat Ali. Most people don’t follow this rule, thinking that Tongkat Ali will work magically without even having to change your diet.
Food containing soy, vegetable oil, and corns are filled with polyunsaturated fatty acids and may lower, or even suppress testosterone production.
Remember Tongkat Ali’s benefit hinges on its testosterone-boosting ability by activating your hormonal / adrenal glands to produce more testosterone. And it works optimally with a set of good diet.
Here are 8 foods that lower your testosterone levels which you need to avoid to get the best from Tongkat Ali.
For those who are on a strict diet, eating excessive processed foods may negate the positive benefits from Tongkat Ali as it contains trans fat that is linked to inflammation, heart disease and others.
- Avoid or minimize intake of trans fat and food containing fatty acids.
- Stop taking soy milk or soy latte.
- Make sure you consume healthy animal proteins such as beef, eggs and chickens.
- Avoid eating processed / canned foods for two to three weeks.
- Avoid taking mint-tea or food containing mint leaves
A well known MRNA vaccine is 95% effective in preventing COVID19. And data from Pfizer showed 43% to 83% patients reported improved erections after taking Viagra.
In our parting thoughts, this brings home an important point.
Like every medicinal drug produced by the best pharmaceutical companies, not everyone is positively affected by it. Some experience more noticeable improvements than others.
The same can be said for Tongkat Ali.
Whilst the strongest and most potent Tongkat Ali may work for most people, it may not work if you fall in any of the abovesaid reasons.
But with the right tips and change of lifestyle, it may maximize your benefits from Tongkat Ali.
That’s the beauty of natural supplements. Tongkat Ali works wonderfully when you couple it together with a healthy lifestyle.
And don’t forget to check out our comprehensive dosage guide to get the best from Tongkat Ali too.
Give it a try, let us know what you think and leave your comments below!
Naressa Khan contributes regularly on AKARALI. As a researcher and investigative journalist specializing in nutrition and natural wellness, Naressa is all about creating, deconstructing, and reassembling meaningful content through words and facts. With this approach always in mind, she eagerly explores the nuances in life via the aspects of lifestyle, culture, travel, health, and wellness in Malaysia .
The content published on this website is for educational purposes and should not be viewed, read, or seen as a prescription or constitute any form of medical advice. We recommend you consult your nearest GP or doctors before consuming Tongkat Ali or any products which contain Tongkat Ali. For further information, kindly refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more information.