Herbal supplement brands are jumping on the Fadogia Agrestis bandwagon in 2022. Originating from Nigeria and some parts of Sudan, pairing Fadogia Agrestis with Tongkat Ali may seem like a sure-win marketing formula.
In reality, Fadogia Agrestis supplement is yet another flavor of the month on Amazon. In the background, Turkesterone is gaining new ground whilst the Maca-Tongkat Ali hype is dwindling rapidly.
Yes, you can combine Tongkat Ali and Fadogia Agrestis as both are androgenic plants. But does it give you added benefits?
With consumers preferring Tongkat Ali more than Fadogia, most benefits are driven by Tongkat Ali.
Between Fadogia Agrestis vs. Tongkat Ali, is there a clear winner?
Eventually, some will hate us for exposing this.
The truth is, there is no synergistic effect from mixing Tongkat Ali with Fadogia Agrestis. With less than 10 research studies since 1970, there is a lack of scientific evidence and clinical tests on humans to prove Fadogia’s health benefits.
This article will provide you with insights into the health benefits, safety and efficacy of Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali.
So let’s find out more!
✅ 10 research studies
✅ May boost testosterone
✅ May boost muscle strength
❌ Not clinically tested on humans
❌ No impact on libido
❌ No impact on sperm motility
❌ No impact on mood or stress
❌ No impact on the immune system
✅ 300+ research studies and clinical trials
✅ Clinically tested on humans since late 90s
✅ Proven to boost testosterone
✅ Proven to increase muscle strength
✅ Proven to increase anaerobic power
✅ Proven to boost libido & desire
✅ Proven to increase sperm motility
✅ Proven to reduce cortisol, stress & tension
✅ Proven to boost dopamine
✅ Proven to reduce uric acid
✅ Proven to boost the immune system
Tongkat Ali vs. Fadogia Agrestis : Which is more popular?
Tongkat Ali is more popular than Fadogia Agrestis. Google search data showed that consumer search interest in Tongkat Ali jumped exponentially by more than 50%, surpassing Fadogia Agrestis in Q2 to Q3 in 2022.
In short, consumers are not interested in Fadogia Agrestis compared to Tongkat Ali.
Source : Google Trend Explorer Analysis on Tongkat Ali vs. Fadogia Agrestis from 2021-2022
The substantial difference in consumer search interest means that more people are buying Tongkat Ali than Fadogia Agrestis.
Tongkat Ali brands such as AKARALI are becoming more popular than Fadogia Agrestis as it is clinically tested (i.e tested on humans) for more than 20 years. The same cannot be said for most Fadogia Agrestis brands on Amazon.
With less than 10 studies, studies on Fadogia Agrestis are limited to tests conducted on albino rats.
Most Fadogia Agrestis sold today are not clinically tested on humans to validate its effect on testosterone, muscle strength, or libido.
The hard truth is that consumers are very skeptical about the effectiveness of Fadogia, making it less popular than Tongkat Ali.
Combining Tongkat Ali with Fadogia Agrestis may not bring additional health benefits either.
That brings us to the next topic.
The Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali mix
The best Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali brands out there each have their own unique formulation.
The trick to get the most effect from Fadogia Agrestis is by adding a small quantity of potent Tongkat Ali to boost its overall health benefits (eg: testosterone, libido and mood).
Hence, most manufacturers deliberately add Tongkat Ali with Fadogia Agrestis in the following ratio:
- Fadogia Agrestis: 600mg
- Tongkat Ali: 400 mg
🔎 Key Questions by Consumers
Against the backdrop of uncertainties surrounding the Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali supplement, we provide insights and answers to the following questions:
- Can Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali deliver more health benefits?
- Is it safe to take Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali in high doses to gain the full benefits?
- Why do most Fadogia Agrestis brands come in high doses (eg: 600mg, 800mg)?
- Can you realize the same benefits by taking single ingredients such as Tongkat Ali?
- Is Fadogia a scam herb promoted by selected podcast influencers?
Can I gain more from Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali combo?
Many reported faster gains after consuming the Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali combo. However, most of these health benefits or gains are placebo, not verified and not clinically tested by scientists.
The real magic and benefit are fueled by Tongkat Ali’s bioactive ingredients such as eurycomanone, etc.
Hence you feel a higher sex drive or mood after consuming Fadogia Agrestis. Because it has Tongkat Ali in it!
In fact, you probably gain more health benefits from consuming a potent single-ingredient Tongkat Ali product that is clinically tested.
Here is an example.
600mg of Fadogia Agrestis + 400mg of Tongkat Ali (i.e 1,000mg of Fadogia Agrestis Tongkat Ali mix) may bring similar effects on testosterone or libido compared to 200mg of Tongkat Ali.
When formulating or marketing a herbal formulation, the total net gain from combining two (or more) herbs is NOT equal to the sum of the individual gains.
Yet, most people think 1 + 1 = 2
Or, in this example; Testosterone Gain From Fadogia + Testosterone Gain From Tongkat Ali = 2
This allows further manipulation into thinking that the sum of 0.6 + 1.4 = 2
This is how we are wired to think when rationalizing the compounded effect of Fadogia Agrestis (at say 1,400mg) and Tongkat Ali (at say 600mg).
Unless it is clinically tested, combining Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali will NOT give you 2x higher testosterone gains, or 2x more libido, or the elusive 10x more muscle strength.
In fact, you can gain 2x higher testosterone gains or 2x more libido with a clinically tested potent Tongkat Ali at a lower dosage.
There are many secrets behind the world’s most potent Tongkat Ali that you should be aware of.
Now, let’s find out more facts about Tongkat Ali and Fadogia Agrestis.
🔎 Key Facts: Fadogia Agrestis
- The total research study on Fadogia Agrestis is less than 10, with the same 6 papers being cited and recycled in every article or blog entry.
- Fadogia Agrestis has not been clinically tested or lab-tested to be safe.
- There are no clinical studies or clinical tests on humans. Fadogia is only tested on rats.
- Most studies on Fadogia Agrestis have been based on tests on rats and animals.
- There is no study on Fadogia Agrestis and how it could benefit women’s health.
- There is only ONE Fadogia Agrestis study to investigate its efficacy on testosterone in rats. The same study was performed to investigate libido potential in male albino rats in 2005.
- There is no study to prove Fadogia Agrestis’s effect on DHEA, testosterone, free testosterone, estrogen and how it affects the endocrine system.
- There has been no recent development or new findings on Fadogia Agrestis on how it can benefit human’s health.
- Fadogia Agrestis did not receive much attention, coverage or even reviews by medical professionals or health experts to reaffirm its efficacy on human health.
- Fadogia Agrestis is being falsely marketed in the US with false claims by heavily paid social media influencers.
🔎 Key Facts: Tongkat Ali
- Tongkat Ali has recorded more than 300+ research studies between 1999 – 2021
- Tongkat Ali has been clinically tested on hundreds of humans (both men and women), with more clinical trials than other known herbs in the history of mankind.
- Tongkat Ali has sound scientific evidence on how it may benefit women’s health.
- Multiple studies on Tongkat Ali’s effect on testosterone with validated test results by qualified scientists and medical professionals.
- Tongkat Ali has been clinically tested to raise dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) based on 105 male test participants. DHEA is a precursor hormone that helps to produce testosterone.
- Tongkat Ali studies on libido and men’s fertility showed positive results on erection hardness, erection time, sperm motility and other parameters.
- Tongkat Ali has been reviewed extensively and continuously by medical experts, health professionals, nutritionists and researchers around the world.
- Tongkat Ali was dubbed the Tree That Cures Thousand Diseases when it was first discovered by MIT scientists in 2003 due to its unique medicinal properties from bioactive compounds eurycomanone and eurypeptides.
So what can I expect from Tongkat Ali Fadogia Agrestis combo?
Whilst it is not ideal to consume Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali in high doses, you may still reap some noticeable benefits. For example:
- An immediate and boost of energy, testosterone and libido.
- Faster and noticeable gains in muscle development, or fat loss.
Whether the long-term effects on health remained to be seen, Tongkat Ali and Fadogia Agresti combo are still used by those who are actively involved in sports.
The real-world benefits from Tongkat Ali Fadogia Agrestis combo may be caused by placebo, but it could also possibly be due to faster absorption and gains that happen from a higher dosages of Tongkat Ali in the combo mix.
Does Fadogia Agrestis has any risks or side effects?
There are serious toxicity risks and side-effects on Fadogia Agrestis as reported by medical and dietary experts.
🔎 Fadogia Agrestis: Side Effects & Toxicity
Fadogia side effects and toxicity studies are limited to animal tests (mainly rats and rabbits). Results from various studies conducted in 2008, 2009 and 2012 showed the following side-effects of Fadogia:
- Causes death in rats when administered at high dosage
- Kidney damage at higher doses of Fadogia Agrestis
- Damage to the animal’s liver and spleen
- Damage to the vocal cords
- Swelling of nasal mucosa
- Decreased appetite
- Increased heart rate in rats and rabbits
- Anemia in rabbits
- Toxic to the testicles
Common Fadogia’s side effects from consumers:
- Kidney pains
- Liver complications
- Chronic Nausea
- Heart palpitations
- Impair testicular functions.
🔎 Is Fadogia Agrestis Safe?
Based on nutritional and health experts’ views, Fadogia Agrestis is NOT safe when consumed in high doses.
There are limited clinical studies on humans and past studies showed an adverse effect on kidney and liver functions.
- It may cause a testicular increase when consumed in high doses, and this may cause cancer risks.
- A 2009 study showed that Fadogia Agrestis has adverse effects on the kidney and liver functions of rats.
- The level of clinical toxicity in Fodgia Agrestis has not been thoroughly tested and may cause kidney failure on humans if consumed in high doses.
Nutrition and food science expert Zach Allison advised viewers on the risks of taking Fadogia Agrestis in his recent video.
Zach is an honest individual who exposed the truth behind Fadogia Agrestis and brought down the arguments into simple data-driven facts.
Here is a quick summary.
He also commented on the risk vs. reward for those taking Fadogia Agrestis.
Despite his unpopular opinion about Fadogia, it makes a lot sense to stay away from Fadogia Agrestis until there are more research studies or clinical trials / tests on humans.
🔎 Does Fadogia Agrestis benefit women?
Unlike Tongkat Ali, there are no research studies or clinical tests to prove the effect of Fadogia Agrestis on women’s health. There is more compelling scientific evidence based on clinical trials and tests on Tongkat Ali compared to Fadogia Agrestis.
Find out six areas of how Tongkat Ali may benefit women’s health.
Which herb deliver more health benefits? Tongkat Ali or Fadogia Agrestis?
In a Fadogia Agresits and Tongkat Ali supplement, it is Tongkat Ali who does all the hard work whilst Fadogia gets the credit.
Thanks to all the false marketing hype, Fadogia Agrestis failed miserably to meet consumers’ expectations despite it claims to increase testosterone by 350%.
Joe Rogan talked positively about Fadogia Agresits together with Dr. Andrew Huberman in his podcast and talk shows, but they may face a huge public backlash when presented with the facts.
Although Fadogia Agrestis contains similar bioactive ingredients to Tongkat Ali, the effectiveness in delivering its mechanism of action has not been proven by scientific evidence or real-world evidence.
Here is the painful truth behind Fadogia Agrestis.
- Fadogia Agrestis does not work as effectively as Tongkat Ali due to the low androgenic effects in its ability to boost testosterone.
- Based on studies on rodents, the human equivalent dosage for Fadogia tends to be extremely high; eg: 1,000mg to 4,500 mg to produce a modest biological response (i.e efficacy) in our body.
- Consuming Fadogia Agrestis at extremely high dosage may cause higher risks of toxicity.
The perceived health benefits (or boosted effects) may potentially be due to the fact that Fadogia Agrestis act as an enabler or “booster” when combined with Tongkat Ali’s bioactive ingredients.
The added boost may come from high-protein bioactive ingredients (eg: saponin) which are available in both Fadogia and Tongkat Ali.
But as we explained earlier, the total gain from a multi-herbal supplement is NOT the sum of its individual parts (i.e 1 + 1 is not equal to 2).
As a single-ingredient supplement, a potent Tongkat Ali extract may be stronger than Fadogia-Tongkat Ali combo. It requires a modest 200mg of pure extract to deliver all its scientifically proven benefits.
On the other hand, you may need a higher amount of 600mg to 1,000mg of Fadogia Agrestis to supercharge all Tongkat Ali’s amazing benefits.
Hence why most Tongkat Ali Fadogia Agrestis supplements are formulated in high dosages – without even considering the medium and long-term negative side effects of consuming Fadogia in high doses.
Let’s take look at a popular Tongkat Ali Fadogia Agrestis supplement on Amazon. Each capsule contains 1,000 mg of Fadogia Agrestis and Tongkat Ali.
Here is the breakdown for each serving (capsule) from its Supplement Facts:
- Fadogia Agrestis Powder : 600mg
- Tongkat Ali Powder: 400mg
Given Fadogia does not have sufficient studies to claim its effect on testosterone, energy, libido and many others, is Tongkat Ali doing a perfect job to mask Fadogia’s deficiencies and weaknesses?
Or is Fadogia Agrestis grabbing all the attention because of Andrew Huberman’s latest podcast?
The reality is, Tongkat Ali has strong pharmacological reactions when combined with other herbs. Fadogia Agrestis happens to be one of them. And it may be the flavor of the month too.
The effect is almost like adding fuel to an existing woodfire. Fast and Furious.
Supercharging the effects of Tongkat Ali
Fadogia Agrestis is a common enabling ingredient added to Tongkat Ali to boost the overall effect of Tongkat Ali.
However, if you have experienced a potent Tongkat Ali before, by all means, there is justification to artificially supercharge its effects.
In fact, consuming a highly potent Tongkat Ali may gain superior health benefits and gains in less time compared to Fadogia Agrestis. Brands such as AKARALI are known for their super potent Tongkat Ali extract and clinically tested for 20 years.
However, if you opt for generic Tongkat Ali, or Fadogia Agrestis-Tongkat Ali supplement, there are three ways in which you can supercharge Tongkat Ali’s effects.
First option: increase the Tongkat Ali dosage to 600mg to 800mg daily, which makes a significant boost to testosterone, and libido. Or you may perform kegel exercises or weight training 3-4 times a week.
Second Option: Add Fadogia Agrestis, Maca, and caffeine to Tongkat Ali to boost the effects.
Third Option: Take Tongkat Ali with multivitamins.
A clinical trial on men and women showed a phenomenal boost of free testosterone when consuming a 50mg of Tongkat Ali together with multivitamins. The test result showed an increase of 500% to 600% in free testosterone for both men and women after 24 weeks.
So shall I stick to Tongkat Ali or Fadogia Agrestis?
Before we dive in, let’s rephrase that question for clarity.
So should you consume a herbal-mix combo supplement such as Tongkat Ali Fadogia Agrestis, or stick with a single-ingredient Tongkat Ali supplement?
Here is one perspective. And food for thought.
We have demonstrated that there are ZERO ADDITIONAL health benefits of adding Fadogia Agrestis with Tongkat Ali.
And we have shown that Fadogia Agrestis has less 10 research studies to back up its claims on testosterone, libido, muscle strength, and other health benefits.
As the herbal supplement industry is not regulated by FDA, brand owners are hyping up the placebo effects through paid personalities and influencers.
The scariest part is that most health claims or benefits from Fadogia Agrestis are anecdotal and not backed by any clinical tests, or peer-reviewed research studies.
And that’s the reason why both Tongkat Ali and Panax Ginseng remain popular single-ingredient herbal supplements for centuries.
And there are no compelling reasons to mix other types of herbs to create a “multi-herbal supplement” to deliver maximum strength.
Well, do your research and don’t be a victim.
Yellow Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma Longifolia) is known as the most powerful androgenic plant on earth, with bioactive ingredients that are scientifically proven to cause a significant increase in hormones (eg: testosterone, dopamine)
In the world of mixed-combo supplements, there are many black-hat tactics by manufacturers and brand owners to deceive consumers.
In the case of Fadogia Agrestis, it is our responsibility to spread the truth and debunk the hype – just like our review on Turkesterone.
It is best to stick to single-ingredient supplements such as Tongkat Ali that are clinically tested to benefit your health.
Whilst the chest-thumping promises from the Tongkat Ali Fadogia combo may tempt you to purchase one tomorrow, the long-term side effects vis-à-vis the health benefits remain unclear. Without a doubt, Fadogia Agrestis warrants further clinical tests and assessments from qualified scientists and health experts.
Let us end this debate with a question:
Why do you need multi-herbal supplements knowing a single-ingredient supplement such as Tongkat Ali is proven to work for centuries?
Well, if the answer calls on your needs to achieve faster or higher gains, here is one solution.
Revisit your Tongkat Ali daily dosage and align it to your health goals.
It is worth considering all options.
Naressa Khan contributes regularly on AKARALI. As a researcher and investigative journalist specializing in nutrition and natural wellness, Naressa is all about creating, deconstructing, and reassembling meaningful content through words and facts. With this approach always in mind, she eagerly explores the nuances in life via the aspects of lifestyle, culture, travel, health, and wellness in Malaysia .
The content published on this website is for educational purposes and should not be viewed, read, or seen as a prescription or constitute any form of medical advice. We recommend you consult your nearest GP or doctors before consuming Tongkat Ali or any products which contain Tongkat Ali. For further information, kindly refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more information.