Growing pre-clinical, clinical trials and research studies reaffirm Tongkat Ali’s benefits on health. Discover a wide range of Tongkat Ali clinical studies on humans.
There is a growing demand for consumers to switch to clinically-tested Tongkat Ali supplements as it works better (i.e higher efficacy and potency) and are safe.
Clinically tested Tongkat Ali supplements are at par with pharmaceutical-grade complementary medicines that meet quality standards.
This article provides a list of trusted Tongkat Ali clinical trials and studies, which are tested on both men and women.
Tongkat Ali Studies: Clinical Trials
Tongkat Ali studies conducted using placebo-controlled and randomized tests are the gold standard of any clinical trial. And this is used as a basis to provide any health claims used in Tongkat Ali supplements.
Our list of Tongkat Ali clinical trials and studies provides scientific evidence and empirical data to show that Tongkat Ali works to deliver its intended benefits.
The Tongkat Ali clinical studies and tests published in this article were conducted using Physta® Tongkat Ali hot water standardized extract.
Tongkat Ali as a Potential Herbal Supplement for Physically Active Male and Female Seniors—A Pilot Study
A comparative study investigating the effects of Physta® Tongkat Ali (TA) extract on elderly individuals as an ergogenic supplement. 25 test subjects consisting of 13 physically active male and 12 physically active female seniors were supplemented with 400mg of Tongkat Ali extract daily for 5 weeks.
- Significant increases in total, free testosterone concentration, and muscular force in both men (15.1%, 61.1%, and 16.6%) and women (48.6%, 122%, and 13.7%) after 5 weeks.
- The increase in free testosterone in women was attributed to a significant decline in sex hormone-binding globulin concentrations.
- The study confirms the ergogenic benefit of Tongkat Ali through enhanced muscle strength.
- TA supplementation increased the Testosterone/Cortisol (T/C) ratio in men due to significantly increased testosterone levels, indicating an increase in the body’s anabolic status.
- TA supplementation improved aging symptoms (AFS) in women.
The study confirmed the ergogenic benefit of Physta Tongkat Ali for physically active seniors and its potential to increase free testosterone and muscle strength. Physta Tongkat Ali supplement was found to have no adverse effects on senior recreational athletes.
Efficacy and safety of Eurycoma longifolia (Physta®) water extract plus multivitamins on quality of life, mood and stress: a randomized placebo-controlled and parallel study (on men and women)
A randomized, placebo-controlled, and parallel study investigating the effects of 50mg Physta® Tongkat Ali + multivitamins (MV) on quality of life, mood and stress on 93 men and women (25 – 65 years) for 24 weeks.
- Improved quality of life scores.
- Improved emotional health & energy scores.
- Increased vigour after 12 weeks.
- Significant increase in lymphocytes (immunity effect).
- 15% decrease in stress
- Tongkat Ali supplementation also appeared to counteract stress-related changes in neutrophils and leukocyte esterase.
- Significant improvements in the social functioning domain of SF-12 and the vigour domain of POMS were observed in specific age groups.
This study found that participants who were moderately stressed and supplemented with Physta Tongkat Ali and multivitamins showed significant improvements in quality of life, mood, stress, vigour, mental component, emotional well-being, cognition, and testosterone levels over a 12-week period.
Effect of Tongkat Ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects (men and women)
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study investigating the effects of 200mg Physta® Tongkat Ali (TA) extract for 4 weeks on 63 (32 men and 31 women) moderately stressed test subjects
- Decrease in tension (-11%), anger (-12%) and confusion (-15%).
- Improvement of stress hormone profile: testosterone levels higher (37%) and cortisol levels lower (-16%) than placebo. 62% of subjects had increased libido.
Overall, the study confirmed the benefit of Physta Tongkat Ali for men and women for lowering symptoms of stress while improving testosterone levels and lowering cortisol levels. The test subjects also showed an increase in libido levels.
Immunomodulation in Middle-Aged Humans Via the Ingestion of Physta® Standardized Root Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia Jack—A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Study
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, and parallel study investigating the effects of 200mg Physta® Tongkat Ali on the immune system of 84 men and women (40 – 59 years) for 4 weeks.
- The Scoring of Immunological Vigor (SIV) and immunological grade were significantly higher in the TA group compared to the placebo group.
- The numbers of total, naïve, and CD4+ T cells were also higher in the Tongkat Ali test group.
Physta Tongkat Ali supplementation contributes to immunological improvement by stimulating the production of more T-cells, CD4+ cells, leading to a stronger immune system.
The effect of Eurycoma Longifolia on the regulation of reproductive hormones in young males
A placebo-controlled, double-blind, matched-paired study to assess the impact of TA supplementation on the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes in healthy young men (18 -30 years). 32 young men received 600mg/day of Tongkat Ali or placebo for two weeks.
- Increased testosterone levels by 15% and free testosterone levels by 34% in healthy young men. The increase in testosterone may be due to direct stimulation of the adrenal gland in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis and not only via the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis.
- The lack of changes in luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone and sexual hormone-binding globulin suggests that TA has a lesser effect on the HPG axis. The rise in estradiol levels also suggests that the aromatase may not be inhibited.
- The steroidogenic effects of TA on young men were dose-related, and a higher dosage of Tongkat Ali (600mg/day) for two weeks was safe and effective in increasing testosterone levels in young males. Further investigation is needed to understand the mechanisms behind the effect of EL on both the HPA and HPG axes.
Tongkat Ali supplementation increases testosterone and free testosterone levels in young men due to direct stimulation of the adrenal gland in the HPA axis and to a lesser extent the HPG axis. The TA supplement (for two weeks) was found to be acceptable, with no adverse effects on young males even at higher doses (600mg/day).
Effect of Eurycoma Longifolia standardised aqueous root extract Physta® on testosterone levels and quality of life in ageing male subjects: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled multicentre study
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluated the efficacy and safety of Physta® TA in improving testosterone levels and quality of life in ageing male subjects. The study enrolled 105 participants, with 35 in each group (Physta® 100 mg, Physta® 200 mg, and placebo).
- The study found that supplementation with Physta® Tongkat Ali, at both 100 mg and 200 mg doses, led to a significant increase in total testosterone levels compared to placebo. The Physta® 200 mg group showed a more gradual and higher increase in total testosterone, while the Physta® 100 mg group showed a significant increase in total testosterone levels only from week 8 to 12. However, there were no significant between-group differences in free testosterone levels.
- Physta® Tongkat Ali supplementation also reduced the symptoms of aging and fatigue, as evidenced by significant reductions in AMS and FSS scores.
- No serious adverse events related to the treatment was observed.
The study concludes that supplementation with Physta® Tongkat Ali at doses of 100 mg and 200 mg can significantly improve total testosterone levels in aged male subjects with low testosterone levels, resulting in enhanced quality of life scores and reduced symptoms of aging and fatigue. No adverse events occurred directly as a result of Tongkat Ali supplementation.
Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia (Tongkat Ali) as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism?
Study on 320 patients suffering from late-onset hypogonadism (LOH), where 76 out of 320 patients with late-onset hypogonadism were given 200 mg of Physta® standardised water-soluble extract of TA for 1 month, to determine whether standardised water-soluble extract of Tongkat ali significantly improved the Ageing Males’ Symptoms (AMS) score and serum testosterone concentration
- After treatment, the Ageing Males’ Symptoms (AMS) scores and the serum testosterone concentration of the patients significantly improved. Before treatment, only 10.5% of the patients did not show any complaints according to the AMS scale and 35.5% had normal testosterone levels. After treatment, 71.7% and 90.8% of the patients showed normal values, respectively.
- Only data of men who completed a full course of TA supplementation with a dose of 200-mg standardised water-soluble extract were considered for the study.
The results suggest that Tongkat Ali is a suitable herbal supplement in overcoming symptoms of hypogonadism with improvement in testosterone levels.
Randomized Clinical Trial on the Use of Physta® Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia for the Improvement of Quality of Life and Sexual Well-Being in Men
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted on 109 men (30 – 55) to investigate the clinical evidence of TA as a remedy for decreased male libido. The study involved treatment with 300mg of water extract of TA (Physta®) or a placebo for 12 weeks.
- The Tongkat Ali group experienced significant improvements in Physical Functioning, overall Erectile Function, sexual libido (14% by week 12), sperm motility (44.4%), semen volume (18.2%), and fat mass reduction in subjects with BMI ≥ 25 kg/m².
The study found significant improvements in libido, erectile function, and physical functioning with a daily dose of 300mg of TA (Physta®) extract for three months. The extract was also found to have a strong impact on seminal fluid parameters such as semen volume and sperm motility, as well as fat mass reduction for overweight subjects.
A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study to assess the efficacy of CitruSlim (Eurycoma Longifolia & Citrus Bergamia) on body composition and lipid parameters in obese individuals.
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study investigating the effects of Physta® Tongkat Ali (also known as LJ100 in the USA) with Bergamot Orange on 97 obese men for 112 days.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) reduced by 3.2% in the controlled group consuming 200mg of Tongkat Ali daily
- Body Mass Index (BMI) reduced by 3.3% in the controlled group consuming 400mg of Tongkat Ali daily
- No change in dyslipidemia and metabolic disturbances
The study findings suggested that a 400mg daily dose of Physta Tongkat Ali and Citrus Bergamia was effective in reducing body weight in obese patients after 112 days.
Author: Hancke et. al, 2021
Tongkat Ali as a Potential Herbal Supplement for Testosterone and overall Men’s Health
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study investigating the effects of Physta® Tongkat Ali extract on men’s testosterone levels and overall health. 20 test subjects (35 – 58 years) were tested on 200 mg, 400 mg and 600 mg/day of Physta® Tongkat Ali for 3 weeks.
- Safe in doses up to 600 mg/day.
- Increased sexual health scores.
- Increased testosterone levels after 3 weeks.
- Blood profiles, liver function and renal function normal at all doses.
- Type-2 diabetes volunteers showed improved blood glucose levels.
The study confirmed the effect of Tongkat Ali on testosterone, which increased after 3 weeks, as well as overall men’s health, including lower blood glucose for diabetic volunteers, and increased overall sexual health scores.
Author: Tambi et al., 2005
Tongkat Ali as a Potential Herbal Supplement for Testosterone Strength and Endurance in Men
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study investigating the effects of Physta® Tongkat Ali extract on male athletes at mountain biking events. 30 test male subjects were tested on 100mg daily dose of Physta® Tongkat Ali before exercise.
- Promotion of “anabolic” hormonal state during intense exercise, improving performance and reducing fatigue.
- Testosterone raised by 16% higher than placebo test group.
- Cortisol levels reduced by 32% lower than placebo test group.
Overall, the study confirmed the anabolic benefits of Tongkat Ali in improving performance and reducing fatigue during exercise, as well as increasing testosterone levels and reducing cortisol levels.
Author: Talbot et al., 2007
Tongkat Ali to Boost Testosterone and overall Men’s Health
An open-label study investigating the effects of Physta® Tongkat Ali extract at 200mg / day over on men’s (31 – 52 years) to investigate total and free testosterone, energy, psychological wellbeing and libido levels
- 44% increase in free testosterone.
- 47% increase in DHEA-precursors of testosterone.
- 73% subjects had increased energy.
- 82% subjects had improved psychological wellbeing.
- 62% of subjects had increased libido.
Overall, the study confirmed the benefit of Tongkat Ali in men for improving total and free testosterone levels, DHEA, energy, psychological well-being and libido levels.
Author: Tambi, 2009
Effects of a Proprietary Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia (Physta) and Polygonum minus on Sexual Performance and Well-Being in Men: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, and parallel study investigating the effects of 200mg Physta® Tongkat Ali and 100mg P.minus /day for 12 weeks on 26 (45 – 60) men with mild ED.
- Significant improvements were observed in scores related to sexual intercourse attempts, erection hardness, sexual health inventory, and aging male symptoms (P < 0.05 for all).
- The supplementation was well tolerated and showed no clinically significant abnormalities in liver and kidney function tests.
The study confirmed the benefit of Tongkat Ali in men for improving scores related to sexual intercourse attempts, erection hardness, sexual health inventory, and aging male symptoms
Tongkat Ali benefits for strength in men
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, study investigating the effects of 50mg Physta® /day for 5 weeks on 13 (27 – 30) healthy men.
- Anabolic effect after intense strength training program of 5 weeks include increase in muscle circumference and increase in strength.
Overall, the study verified the benefit of Tongkat Ali in men for improving muscle circumference and increase in strength with strength training after 5 weeks.
Author: Hamzah et al., 2002
The Ergogenic Effects Of Eurycoma Longifolia Jack: A Pilot Study
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, and parallel study investigating the effects of 100mg Physta® Tongkat Ali per day for 5 weeks on body composition, muscle strength, and size in 14 healthy men.
- Improvement of lean body mass (4%) and increased muscle size (1.8cm) while placebo had no significant difference.
- Reduced body fat (9%) compared to placebo (7%); increase in strength (6%) compared to placebo (2%).
The findings suggest that Tongkat Ali supplementation enhances fat-free mass, reduces body fat, and improves muscle strength and size, potentially offering ergogenic effects.
Author: Hamzah et al., 2003
Eurycoma longifolia Jack in managing idiopathic male infertility
An open-label study investigating the effects of Physta® Tongkat Ali on 75 men with idiopathic infertility with 200mg daily dosage for 3 months.
- Reduces symptoms of idiopathic infertility.
- Improvement in sperm concentration, motility and morphology.
- 11 spontaneous pregnancies during study (14% of subjects).
Overall, the study confirmed the benefit of Tongkat Ali in men for reducing idiopathic infertility by improving sperm concentration, motility, and morphology.
Tongkat Ali effects on for men’s health, strength, and fertility
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, and parallel study investigating the effects of 300mg Physta® Tongkat Ali per day for 12 weeks on 26 men (30 – 55) on men’s health, strength, and fertility.
- Improved quality of life scores.
- Improving trends in strength, general health & vitality, and reduced body pain. Improved sexual health scores.
- Libido increased 11% (week 6) and 14% (week 12).
- 44% increase of sperm motility, 18% increase in semen volume.
- For subjects with BMI >25kg/m², significant improvement in fat mass loss.
- Safe at 300mg/day dose for three months.
Overall, the study confirmed the benefit of Tongkat Ali in men for reducing idiopathic infertility by improving sperm concentration, motility, and morphology.
Investigating doping-like effects of Tongkat Ali supplementation and whether there is improved strength in men
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, and parallel study investigating the effects of 300mg Physta® /day for 12 weeks on 40 men (30 – 55) on whether improvements in strength and doping effects were recorded with supplementation.
- No ‘doping-like’ effects observed.
- Testosterone: Epitestosterone (T:E) ratio did not change significantly over 12 weeks.
- No significant difference of T:E ratio between supplementation and placebo.
- Muscular strength over time increased more than placebo.
Overall, the study confirmed the benefit of Tongkat Ali in men for improving muscular strength in men. Meanwhile, no doping-like effects were observed over the supplementation period.
Author: George et al., 2013
Supplementation of Eurycoma longifolia Jack Extract for 6 Weeks Does Not Affect Urinary Testosterone: Epitestosterone Ratio, Liver and Renal Functions in Male Recreational Athletes
A double-blind, placebo-controlled, and crossover study investigating the effects of 400mg Physta® Tongkat Ali (6 weeks + 3 weeks washout + 6 weeks crossover) on 13 men (24 – 34) on whether doping-like effects were recorded with supplementation.
- No ‘doping-like’ effects observed.
- Testosterone:Epitestosterone ratio did not change significantly after 6 weeks.
- No significant difference of ratio between supplementation and placebo.
- Safety profiles comparable to placebo.
The study reported that no changes in both liver and renal functions after Tongkat Ali supplementation, with no doping-like effects recorded after 6 weeks of using Tongkat Ali. This confirms Tongkat Ali doesn’t affect the T:E doping ratio.
Author: Chen et al., 2014
Efficacy of Labisia pumila and Eurycoma longifolia standardised extract on hot flushes, quality of life, hormone and lipid profile of peri-menopausal and menopausal women: a randomised, placebo-controlled study
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, and parallel study investigating the effects of 200 mg SLP+® and 50 mg Physta® Tongkat Ali per day for 24 weeks on 119 pre-menopausal and menopausal women (40 – 55 years).
- Tongkat Ali supplementation improves hot flush symptoms by 65% after 12 weeks and by 73% after 24 weeks (from week 0).
- 68% improvement in joint pain symptoms after 12 weeks.
- 21% increase in vitality after 24 weeks.
- Improvement in hormone and lipid profile.
Tongkat Ali supplementation reduces hot flushes by 65%, improves joint pain symptoms by 68% and improvements in hormone and lipid profiles (cholesterol & triglycerides) in healthy peri-menopausal and menopausal women.
Investigating benefits on Tongkat Ali supplementation on physical strength, function in middle-aged women
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study investigating the effects of Physta® Tongkat Ali on physical strength and physical functions of 31 women (age 45 – 59 years) based on a daily dose of 100mg for 14 weeks.
- Counteraction of age-related decline in physical functions.
- After 12 weeks of exercise: significant improvement in physical strength, balance and flexibility compared to placebo.
Overall, the study confirmed that Tongkat Ali supplementation counteracts age-related decline in physical functions. Tongkat Ali showed significant improvement in physical strength, balance and flexibility in women who are exposed to regular exercises.
Author: Md. Yusof, 2009
Note: Clinical Studies on Physta Tongkat Ali Extract
- Physta Tongkat Ali extract is clinically tested on humans to validate its health benefits, pharmacological effects, and any adverse reactions or side effects to health.
- Physta® is a proprietary standardized hot water extract that has undergone rigorous clinical tests to validate it’s health benefits and safety.
- Physta® Tongkat Ali extract used in the clinical tests complies with the Tongkat Ali standards; i.e Malaysian Standards MS2409.
Please refer to Examine.com and Medical News Today for other Tongkat Ali studies and clinical studies which are not covered in this article.
Pregnant and breastfeeding woman and children below 18 years of age should not be taking Tongkat Ali. Tongkat Ali is a dietary supplement and we recommend you consult your medical professionals or doctors for advice before consuming Tongkat Ali.
RELATED RESOURCES & ARTICLES
Tongkat Ali Clinical Trials on Mood Parameter: Clinicaltrials.gov (Ref: NCT05347329)
Meta-Analysis on Clinical Efficacy of Tongkat Ali: American Botanical Council (Ref: HC# 111564-544)
Tongkat Ali Studies
Ask our experts on Tongkat Ali studies, clinical trials and research studies. Expand your knowledge on Tongkat Ali.
Naressa Khan contributes regularly on AKARALI and is part of the global Tongkat Ali research team. As a writer and journalist, Naressa specializes in nutrition, health supplements, and natural wellness. With this approach always in mind, she explores fact-based and scientific evidence of topics related to health, herbs and natural wellness.
Our articles are third party reviewed by our panel of experts and medical advisors to ensure the facts are accurate and credible. These are validated against multiple source references which include but not limited to research studies, peer-reviewed journals, pre-clinical studies, clinical tests and other credible publications.
Our panel of medical advisors and experts are highly experienced in their individual fields. However, they do not provide any medical advice or recommendations arising from content published in this article.
Disclaimer: The content published in this article is for educational purposes and not intended to provide any form of recommendations, directly or indirectly to purchase or consume herbal supplements, drugs, medications, alternative remedies and practices or any brands mentioned in this article. By reading this, the sole responsibility and decision lies on the reader to make an informed decision based on publicly available information published on the internet. Any herbal supplements can be used as a health supplement, dietary plan or to treat illnesses. However, we encourage you to consult your nearest doctor before making any purchase from this website or any other websites or social platforms after reading this article. We do not hold any responsibility or accountability for any products purchased from this website or any third-party websites that are linked to this articles, sales channels or social platforms.