Standardized Tongkat Ali extract sets a new world standard in an unregulated Tongkat Ali market which is filled with contaminants, adulterants and impurities.
Tongkat Ali standardization refers to the process of ensuring consistent and reliable levels of specific active compounds or markers in herbal extracts or supplements.
But which standardized Tongkat Ali extract is best for your health? Ethanol-based extract or hot water extract?
This article shares key things you need to know about Tongkat Ali extracts, the difference between Tongkat Ali ethanol vs water extracts and the best type of Tongkat ali standardized extract that you should look out for.
Standardized extract in the herbal / nutraceutical involves establishing and maintaining a defined profile of active constituents within a product, typically through rigorous quality control measures and testing methods.
Consumers in the US, UK and Australia have now shifted to standardized Tongkat Ali supplements in recent years. Standardized Tongkat Ali is seen as a pharmaceutical-grade option that delivers the highest bioactive ingredients for maximum efficacy.
For Tongkat Ali supplements aspiring to be the best, this means complying with Tongkat Ali standards such as the Malaysian Standard MS2409, touted as the world-class standardized extract protocol.
What is standardized Tongkat Ali extract?
Tongkat Ali standardized extract refers to a specific formulation of Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia) extract that has undergone a process of standardization.
Standardization involves establishing and maintaining consistent levels of certain bioactive compounds within the extract, typically referred to as markers or active constituents.
Standardized extracts from Tongkat Ali involves identifying and quantifying specific compounds or groups of compounds that are considered to be responsible for the therapeutic effects and delivers the most health benefits.
In the case of Tongkat Ali, standardized extract means the level of eurycomanone, eurypeptides, glycosaponin and polysaccharides must within the specified levels.
These compounds, often referred to as quality markers, serve as reference points to ensure batch-to-batch consistency and potency.
Which bioactive ingredients are standardized?
The active compounds in Tongkat Ali that are often targeted for standardization include eurycomanone, quassinoids, and various other phytochemicals.
These compounds are believed to contribute to the beneficial effects of Tongkat Ali, such as its potential to support testosterone levels, enhance libido, muscle growth, fat loss and promote overall vitality and well-being.
What are the steps of a standardized extract?
The level of standardization may vary depending on the product and manufacturer. Common standardized extract ratios for Tongkat Ali are 1:50, 1:100, or 1:200, indicating the concentration of the extract compared to the raw herb.
For example, a 1:200 standardized extract means that it takes 200 grams of raw Tongkat Ali to produce 1 gram of the standardized extract.
The standardization process ensures that each batch of Tongkat Ali extract contains a specified amount of these targeted compounds, which allows for greater consistency and potency in the final product. This means that consumers can have more confidence in the quality and effectiveness of the standardized Tongkat Ali extract they are using.
Overall, standardized Tongkat Ali supplements offers a more consistent and reliable option for individuals seeking the potential benefits associated with this herbal supplement.
The best Tongkat Ali extract
According to the American Botanical Council’s database and market research in the EU and US, the best and most popular standardized Tongkat Ali extract is Physta, also known as LJ100 in the US market.
Physta uses a patented standardized hot water extract technology that is spray-dried to reduce biomolecular degradation from Tongkat Ali bioactive ingredients.
A total of 26 clinical tests and toxicity tests were conducted using Physta Tongkat Ali standardized extract to ensure the effects on health, making it the most tested Tongkat Ali extract in the world.
Years of research were dedicated to refining the standardized extraction technology since its first discovery by MIT scientists with the help of the Malaysian Government in early 2000.
Physta standardized hot water extract is highly bitter and used in various clinical trials around the world.
List of Tongkat Ali supplements with standardized extract
According to our Tongkat Ali brand survey, fewer than 10% of Tongkat Ali supplements sold in the market today use Tongkat Ali standardized extract.
Here are the best Tongkat Ali supplements with standardized extract:
- AKARALI Tongkat Ali 200mg
- DoubleWood LJ100 Tongkat Ali
- Herbolab Standardized Tongkat Ali
- Force Factor Tongkat Ali
- BIOVEA LJ100 Tongkat Ali
The best Tongkat Ali supplements in the market today such as AKARALI, Double Woods, Herbolab Tongkat Ali, Force Factor and BIOVEA LJ100 contains standardized extract that delivers higher safety limits when consumed in high doses.
Why Tongkat Ali standardization is important?
Herbal standardization is important because it ensures consistency and quality in herbal products. Standardization involves establishing specific criteria for the concentration and composition of active ingredients in herbal extracts or supplements.
By standardizing herbal products, manufacturers can provide reliable and consistent dosages, ensuring that consumers receive the intended benefits and effects. It also helps to guarantee safety and efficacy, as well as enables comparison and replication of scientific studies on herbal remedies.
Overall, herbal standardization plays a crucial role in enhancing consumer confidence and promoting responsible use of herbal products.
The advantages of standardized Tongkat Ali extract
Whilst standardized Tongkat Ali supplements are generally recommended, here are several compelling reasons why you should consider them:
1. Consistent Potency: Tongkat Ali standardized extract ensures consistent levels of key active compounds, such as eurycomanone and quassinoids, from batch to batch. This allows for more reliable and predictable dosing, ensuring you receive the desired benefits consistently.
2. Enhanced Efficacy: Standardization ensures that you are getting a potent and concentrated form of Tongkat Ali, maximizing its potential benefits. This can include supporting healthy testosterone levels, enhancing energy and vitality, promoting sexual health, and supporting overall well-being.
3. Quality Assurance: When you choose a reputable brand offering standardized extract, you can have confidence in the product’s quality. These extracts often undergo rigorous testing for purity, potency, and the absence of contaminants, ensuring you receive a safe and reliable product.
4. Scientific Research: Standardized Tongkat Ali extracts have been the subject of scientific studies, providing evidence for their potential benefits. By opting for a standardized extract, you align with the research-backed formulations that have been used in clinical trials and studies, increasing the likelihood of desired outcomes.
5. Precise Dosage: Standardization allows for accurate dosing, making it easier to determine the appropriate amount to take for optimal results. This can help you achieve the desired effects while minimizing the risk of over- or under-dosing.
6. Trust: Many reputable brands offer Tongkat Ali standardized extracts, backed by quality manufacturing practices and third-party testing. Choosing a trusted brand ensures that you are investing in a reliable product that meets stringent quality standards.
Tongkat Ali hot water extract vs. Ethanol extract: Which is better?
Hot water Tongkat Ali extracts have higher safety limits and less side effects compared to ethanol Tongkat Ali extracts. Ethanol-based Tongkat Ali supplements contain bioactive ingredients that serve no benefits to health and may be detrimental if consumed long-term.
Health experts and researchers have regarded hot water Tongkat Ali extracts as superior due to their quality bioactive ingredients that deliver the highest potency with higher safety limits.
The advantages of Hot Water Tongkat Ali extract
- Preservation of Heat-Sensitive Compounds: Hot water extraction is effective in preserving heat-sensitive compounds that may be damaged or degraded by other extraction methods.
- Wide Range of Extracted Compounds: Hot water extraction allows for the extraction of a broad spectrum of compounds present in the botanical material, including both water-soluble and some heat-stable compounds.
- Nutrient Retention: Hot water extraction has the potential to retain certain nutrients, minerals, and vitamins that are water-soluble, offering additional nutritional benefits.
- Traditional Use: Hot water extraction is often used in traditional herbal medicine practices, and some believe it better captures the full range of bioactive compounds.
- Higher Safety Limits: Studies showed that standardized hot water extract have higher safety limits, making it safe to consume in higher doses.
The advantages of Ethanol-Based Tongkat Ali extract
- Efficient Extraction of Lipophilic Compounds: Ethanol-based extraction is effective in extracting lipophilic (fat-soluble) compounds, including certain active constituents found in Tongkat Ali.
- Enhanced Bioavailability: Ethanol extraction can enhance the bioavailability of certain compounds, improving their absorption and utilization in the body.
- Potential for Concentration: Ethanol extraction can concentrate active compounds, allowing for higher potency in the final extract.
- Versatility: Ethanol is a versatile solvent that can extract a wide range of compounds from different botanicals.
Which type of Tongkat Ali extract is the best?
According to scientists from Biotropics, standardized Tongkat Ali hot water extracts are considered the best for health due to their high potency and efficacy.
CEO of Biotropics Malaysia Mrs. Haliza said the Tongkat Ali hot water extraction protocol offers more advantages compared to ethanol-based extract stronger molecular structure that prevents premature degradation over time.
“Top best UK Tongkat Ali brands such as AKARALI uses Physta hot water extract that offers stronger potency which delivers more health benefits to men and women across a wide range of age groups”, she added.
Here is a quick comparison between standardized Tongkat Ali extract vs generic root extract:
Potency & Efficacy
Cost to Produce
Standardized Tongkat Ali extract
(Hot water extract)
Standardized Tongkat Ali extract
Non-Standardized Tongkat Ali extract
Potential Side Effects
You may experience mild side effects when taking standardized Tongkat Ali extract. Those taking ethanol-based Tongkat Ali supplements may experience more frequent, acute or even adverse side effects compared to those taking Tongkat Ali hot-water extracts.
Mild side effects of Tongkat Ali may include increased body temperature, restlessness, increased aggression, insomnia, irritability, and acne.
Some of the side effects are generally rare and tend to occur with higher doses or prolonged use. It is important to follow recommended dosage guidelines and consult with a healthcare professional before starting Tongkat Ali supplementation.
Standardized Tongkat Ali extract sets a new benchmark in herbal extraction protocol. More informed consumers are choosing standardized Tongkat Ali extracts over generic non-standardized extracts.
AKARALI is amongst the best Tongkat Ali supplements in the US, UK and Australia that use standardized hot water root extract which guarantees higher purity, higher eurycomanone of 1.5% and eurypeptides of 20%. The brand is backed by decades of research and clinical trials.
Remember to consult with a healthcare professional or herbalist to ensure Tongkat Ali standardized extract is suitable for your specific needs and to determine the appropriate dosage.
GET THE BEST HELP YOU NEED
Ask Our Experts
Learn more on standardized Tongkat Ali extract from our team of experts and scientists.
| GLOBAL SUPPORT | CERTIFIED EXPERTS |
Naressa Khan contributes regularly on AKARALI. As a researcher and investigative journalist specializing in nutrition and natural wellness, Naressa specializes in Tongkat Ali research and studies. With this approach always in mind, she eagerly explores the nuances in life via the aspects of lifestyle, culture, travel, health, and wellness in Malaysia .
Our articles are third party reviewed by our panel of experts, scientists and medical advisors to ensure the facts are accurate and credible. These are validated against multiple source references which include but not limited to research studies, peer-reviewed journals, pre-clinical studies, clinical tests and other credible publications.
Our panel of medical advisors and experts are highly experienced in their individual fields. However, they do not provide any medical advice or recommendations arising from content published in this article.