Tongkat Ali has attracted scientists, researchers and doctors around the world for many years.
Not only does Tongkat Ali provide strong scientific evidence that it benefits health in many ways, but its testosterone-inducing ingredients such as eurycomanone and quassinaoids have contributed many on-going clinical studies on men’s sexual health.
The rise in Tongkat Ali prices by three times in the last 10 years is largely caused by increasing consumer confidence – placing Tongkat Ali as a proven and safe alternative next to Viagra and Cialis.
Which leads the million-dollar question: Does Tongkat Ali improves Erectile Dysfunction (ED) or men’s libido?
Or is this merely a marketing hype?
- A 6-month study by the researchers from the University of Santa Catarina Brazil in 2021 showed that daily consumption of Tongkat Ali with a 60-minute exercise 3 times a week brings the most improvement in ED, sexual satisfaction and desire.
- Randomized clinical trials in the past showed that Tongkat Ali may lead to improvements ED in males with Androgen Deficiency Aging Males (ADAM), higher scores in the overall Erectile Function IIEF (P < 0.001), sexual libido by 14%, with sperm motility at 44.4%, and semen volume at 18.2% at the end of a 12-week treatment.
- Medical specialists Dr. Rena Malik, an urologist from the University of Maryland Medical Center in the United States, reaffirmed that Tongkat Ali may improve ED based on scientific research publications.
- Most clinical trials on Tongkat Ali between 2010-2020 has shown aphrodisiac enhancing properties and improvements in sexual functions, that is safe to be consumed by adults.
In this article, we will share insights from the latest research-based evidence to satisfy your lust for a conclusive answer to the above question.
Latest research reaffirms Tongkat Ali’s efficacy in combating patients with Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
Before we share the latest research findings from around the world, here is a fun-fact.
Tongkat Ali is not found in Brazil, nor in any parts of America.
90% of Tongkat Ali in the market today
is sourced from Malaysia
Now because of its massive potential for commercialization, Brazilian researchers and scientists have begun to investigate this precious commodity.
An independent study from University of Santa Catarina Brazil, published in 2021 showed that 200 mg Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma Longifolia) daily intake improved erectile dysfunction, sexual satisfaction, desire and testosterones level in a group involving 45 men over a period of 6 months.
The Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (UFSC) is one of the best universities in Brazil and in Latin America. THE Golden Age University Rankings 2019 ranked USFC as the second best university in Brazil.
The study was conducted in a placebo-controlled groups – where test subjects were separated into four groups – G1,G2, G3 and G4. These groups were observed within an interval of 1 month, 4 month and 6 months period.
The group which consumes Tongkat Ali and regular exercise (i.e G4) showed a remarkable improvement in ED.
2-way RM-ANOVA for comparison of the sexual function domains of the four groups in the four moments of the study. (n = 38). BL – baseline; 1 month – after one month of intervention; 4 months – after four months of intervention; 6 months – after six months of intervention. G1: control + placebo; G2: control + Eurycoma longifolia; G3: concurrent training + placebo; G4: concurrent training + Eurycoma longifolia. AMS-S: sexual aspects of the AMS Scale
Consuming Tongkat Ali with regular exercises improve sexual desire and libido.
In the world of natural and herbal remedies, Tongkat Ali works best with regular exercises to improve your sexual functions.
Afterall, a better sex life always begins with the right diet and regular exercises. If you are suffering from ED due to androgen deficiency, frequent exercises and medication may potentially improve your conditions.
The compounding effect of medium-to-long-term consumption of Tongkat Ali with regular exercises help to combat ED, in particular if you are diagnosed with androgen deficiency.
What is androgen deficiency?
- Androgens (including testosterone) are the hormones that give men their ‘male’ characteristics.
- Androgen deficiency means the body has lower levels of male sex hormones, particularly testosterone, than is needed for good health.
- Causes of androgen deficiency include problems of the testes, pituitary gland and hypothalamus.
Here is a further summary from the research conducted by the University of Santarina, Brazil on 45 men comparing two groups – G2: with Tongkat Ali, G4: Tongkat Ali with exercises based on a 6 months assessment.
International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5)
Group 2 (G2)
(200mg Tongkat Ali, with no training)
Group 4 (G4)
(200mg Tongkat Ali, with concurrent training, 3 times a week)
Consume Tongkat Ali with the right dosage to improve your libido and desire.
If you are seeking to improve your libido, sperm concentration and desire, the general recommendation is to consume between 200mg to 300mg Tongkat Ali daily.
In fact, the efficacy of Tongkat Ali in improving libido is often tested using the best-in-class herbal extraction method such as freeze-dried water extraction,
Scientists and researchers spend a decade on analyzing this amazing Tongkat Ali journey to prove its efficacy in boosting libido, notably improvements in erection, sperm concentration and motility.
If you are using Tongkat Ali to combat ED or to improve sexual desire, here is a dosage guide:
Tongkat Ali daily dosage
Number of test subjects
Clinical Study Conducted by
Research findings from prescribed dosage
(men and women)
Dr. Jay K Udani
Dr. Annie George
Dr. Michael Pakdaman
Improvement in erection time, sperm concentration and motility
Dr. Alice Erwig
Dr. Melissa Carvalho
Dr. Andriea Pelegrini
Improvement in Erectile Dysfunction in Androgen Deficiency of Aging Males (ADAM)
Dr. Shaiful Bahari
Dr. Annie George
Dr. Wan Zahiruddin
Improved sexual libido, sperm motility and semen volume
Most of the research on Tongkat Ali has been independently conducted using placebo-controlled groups to analyze the effectiveness of Tongkat Ali in combating ED, sperm concentration, sperm motility and overall sexual desire.
There are other studies with placebo-controlled groups have demonstrated the effectiveness of Tongkat Ali in improving ED and men’s libido.
So, is it effective? And what level of improvement can you expect over the long term?
Here is what we found:
- In a 6 month study with 109 men using Tongkat Ali showed significant improvement with higher scores recorded in the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF) score (P < 0.001), sexual libido at 14%, SFA- with sperm motility at 44.4%, and semen volume at 18.2% by the 12th
- In another 9-month clinical trial Damai Service Hospital by Dr. Tambi and Dr. Henkel on infertility, 75 males consuming Tongkat Ali showed an improved rate of fertility owing to the increased rate of semen volume, increased concentration of sperm, increased sperm motility, and sperm quality.
- In another 12-week study by Medicus Research LLC, Northridge, California on a sample size of 26 men, a proprietary freeze-dried water extract of Tongkat Ali, Physta®, was examined for its effect on sexual performance, fulfillment, and well-being in samples. It was observed that when compared to placebo groups, not only was the sexual performance improved but subjective libido scores were also increased resulting in increased hardness and erection time
- In another study conducted published at PhytoMedicine, the consumption of Tongkat Ali was seen to result in improved sexual libido, sexual stimulation, and performance.
Medical specialists are acknowledging that Tongkat Ali extract has a 3-in-1 benefit including improving ED
Aside from academic-based professors and scientists who dedicate their lives to traditional herbs, adaptogen plants and natural medicines, there are medical specialists and doctors who developed keen interest to ascertain Tongkat Ali’s effectiveness in improving men’s libido.
For US-born specialist Dr. Rena Malik, Tongkat Ali from Malaysia sparked her curiosity and how it can improve men’s libido.
Dr. Rena Malik is an Urologist at University of Maryland Medical Center and was named a “Top Doctor” in the specialty of Urogynecology and Urology by Baltimore magazine in 2020.
In her video, Dr. Rena explains the science behind Tongkat Ali in 3 areas: Erectile Dysfunction, Testosterone and Stress based on research publications out there.
According to Dr. Rena, Tongkat Ali offers 3-in-1 benefits, notably to improve ED from restoring testosterone and these are based on scientific evidence backed by clinical trials.
If you have watched her video, Dr. Rena commented that the maximum efficacy (i.e the potency) that you can gain from Tongkat Ali depends largely on the extraction method.
This is what she said.
You should be looking at Hot Water Root Extract which gives the highest potency
Freeze-dried water extraction technology such as US-patented Physta® offers superior potency with higher bio-active ingredients such as:
- 5% – 3% eurycomanone
- 48% glycosaponin
- 30% polysaccharide
- 22% protein
Physta® Tongkat Ali was co-developed with Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) since 2008 and on-going research and development have brought the best in Tongkat Ali.
And more importantly, never fall for the 200:1 or 500:1 ratio extract marketing hype.
Beyond the marketing hype, there are more things you need to know before purchasing Tongkat Ali from the United States.
There is no denying that Tongkat Ali, or more known as Long Jack, started off uncannily as a natural aphrodisiac, used by men centuries ago.
Tongkat Ali is now a viable, if not, a strong proposition for organic natural lovers looking to enhance men’s libido and general health.
Years of dedication to traditional herbal research activities has now placed Tongkat Ali as one of the safest herbs that is more than capable of boosting men’s libido, but packed with a wide-array of scientifically backed health benefits.
Recent research activities and various data points have convinced medical doctors and specialists to reimagine the role of traditional herbs such as Tongkat Ali.
As a safe alternative, Tongkat Ali can be your preferred choice to improve your libido.
With added benefits such as building a stronger immune system, it’s long-term health that counts.
With the right doses, there is more to gain than just making your partner smile.
Well, stay safe. Play safe.
Naressa contributes regularly on AKARALI. As a writer and journalist, Naressa is all about creating, deconstructing, and reassembling meanings through words. With this approach always in mind, she eagerly explores the nuances in life via the aspects of lifestyle, culture, travel, health, and natural wellness.